It is no secret that relationships are hard work and come with many ups and downs. While it is only natural to go through small rough patches as a couple, if you are experiencing more bad times than good, it may be time to take a step back and reevaluate. In order for a relationship to remain healthy and last forever, patience, love, and respect for one another must be present. If you have found that your relationship just isn’t where you would like it to be, it may be time to talk to someone.
Here at Lifeworks, we offer marriage counseling services that aim to help you find the tools to maintain a healthy and strong relationship. We understand that conflicts arise and you may not always see eye-to-eye with your partner, and we are here to help. Unfortunately, people often find themselves in an unhealthy relationship because they do not take the time needed to focus on themselves. We often put everyone else ahead of ourselves, which can lead to a negative cycle. If you and your spouse are struggling right now and aren’t sure how to get back on track, we encourage you to give Lifeworks a call. Our Carrollton marriage counselors will work with you to find the root of the problem and advise you on healthy tactics that will bring you closer.
With that in mind, here are six tips to help you get your relationship back on track:
- Communicate – First and foremost, learning how to communicate and be open with your partner is an absolute must, especially if things aren’t going well. It can be tempting to clam up and bottle your feeling inside, but this could be detrimental to your relationship. Talk to each other and discuss the issues you are having without yelling, screaming, or pointing fingers. Simply listen and be open to how the other person is feeling.
- Spend time together – As a couple, it is important for you to spend time together. This is especially the case if you have children or a hectic work schedule. Make a point to carve out some one-on-one time and reconnect with your partner.
- Approach each day with a good attitude – Time moves quickly and before you know it you are 10 years into a marriage and unsure how you got there. Do your best to approach each day with a fresh, new attitude. Leave the past behind you and focus on who you are today and what your goals – personal and for your relationship – are moving forward. Give your partner the chance to do the same by asking them about their day and letting go of any expectations and negative feelings.
- Focus on intimacy – Intimacy is an important aspect of any relationship, and it is also the one thing that can get overlooked with time. We are talking about both physical and emotional intimacy here. If you don’t want to lose your partner, show them how much they mean to you and be open to your relationship as time progresses.
- Don’t hold grudges – Sometimes we just need to let bygones be bygones, as they say. No one is perfect and you are each going to make mistakes during your marriage – fact. It is important that we identify the issues we have but don’t let them control the relationship. Sure, you are allowed to react and even be upset but don’t treat your spouse unfairly because of a mistake. Move on and let go.
- Remind yourself why you got married – Marriage is a choice, although sometimes it may not feel like it. If you are in a bad spot, look back and remind yourself why you got married. Make a choice each morning you wake up to choose happiness and stay committed to your spouse. If you can do this, over time things will get better and you will once again be in a good spot. You always have a choice, so if your relationship is bad and irreparable, own up to it and move on.
If you are in need of help with your relationship, please contact Lifeworks and ask about our marriage counseling services.